Monday, March 9, 2015

The In's and Out's

Over the past 8 years there have been many things that I've longed to diverge in. There were some opportunities that I had to watch pass me by while I sat on the sidelines. On the occasions that I felt decent enough to partake in activities, those times often felt few and far between. Yet my God knew just what I needed, and at the times when I needed it the most, He breathed a breath of fresh life into me.

BOARDIN'
One activity that I missed out on for a couple years was snowboarding. I'm not a professional by any means, but I've been boarding for over 12 years and I must say: nothing else makes me feel quite so free as when I'm carving down the mountains. During the year of my surgeries, my sliced up abs didn't permit any snowboarding. Another year I was forbidden to snowboard when I was taking Coumaden (blood thinner medication). Doctors cautioned me that if I got a concussion, my brain might bleed to death. I suppose that's fair reasoning.

Every winter season now that I get to roll in the snow while strapped to a piece of wood is pure, white JOY.

ROCKIN'
Another thing I missed out on at times was going to punk rock shows. Music has always been a huge part me. There's something genuine about rocking out with a favorite band when they're 2 feet away, singing lyrics I relate to. 
Oh yes, in my life I've attended a lot of concerts where I nearly pooped my pants...cuz when you have IBD, Colitis, or Crohns, there comes a point where you say, "Body, you're falling apart, but that's not going to stop me!". 
For at least 1 full year after my final surgery, I got THE worst side ache if I jumped up and down or even simply jogged! I felt so pathetic! Even after my stitches were all healed up, my abs were total weak sauce! Nowadays, its such a privilege being able to bounce around and even mosh again.

ALAS NOT ALL THINGS LAST...
Oh yes, there are a number of things that I'm thrilled to be able to enjoy again. Yet at the same time, life is oh so different since everything transpired. While I've regained some activities that were put temporarily on hold, I've also lost other things, possibly indefinitely. For example: HIKING...
It would probably be a realistic assumption to say that I might never go hiking again. Why, you may ask? Ever since my proctectomy (removal of my rectum), my external butt skin is way more irritable and I don't enjoy long distance walking! To say the least, there's an annoying chaffing that takes place, which drives me absolutely crazy! Partially to blame is the fact that without a colon, food is more acidic, which causes burning issues when food exits. Maybe things will improve in a few years, but if not, then I guess I'm cool with being a lazy bum cuz of my dumb bum.
Favorite boy and I hiking up to L&C caverns
I did however, visit Lewis and Clark Caverns 1 year after my >Takedown surgery<. I conquered the steep climb up the mountain trail that lead to the entrance. I overcame the multiple mile hike inside the underground caverns. With that proof under my belt, I'm not saying that I won't ever hike. Let's just say that it has moved down to the bottom of my "to-do" list (along with running a marathon). 
Well hello, I'm underground!
P.S. -->If you're ever near Butte, MT: Lewis and Clark Caverns is probably the most magical place you'll ever encounter.  
P.S.S.-->If you're claustrophobic, don't bother because you won't be able to handle the awesomeness.
BYE BYE, JOB
Another thing I have chosen to say "goodbye" to is, err was, my occupation.
I waited tables for 10 years and truly enjoyed it. And I'm not saying that just because I made bank on tips! I really enjoyed serving people and getting to interact with the customers. So why did I give up the gig? To be vague about it, it just wasn't as easy after my surgeries. No, I'm not referring to carrying heavy trays or anything like that. I could perform the job just fine, but overall, the demands just took a toll on my body. In case you didn't know, waiting tables on a busy afternoon can be quite a work out, which requires staying hydratedNow remember that without large intestines, its not as easy to stay hydrated (since one of the colon's main jobs was absorbing water). Without my colon, I can't just chug a gallon of water and magically be hydrated anymore! J-pouches don't work like that. Keeping my job was taking me an entire day to re-hydrate after a shift. In the end, I resolved that doing what I loved wasn't worth it anymore. Sigh*

MXPX - 
Stay On Your Feet

Clearly life will be full of changes. It will contain both struggles and disappointments, victories and rejoicing. It will be full of up's and down's, as well as in's and out's. For me there will likely be flare up's with disease in the coming years. Just 4 days ago my pain level was 11/10 due to a recurrent infection in my guts. I also have lame-o Crohn's disease, and that's not going to change (unless some genius figures out a cure). But in spite of this knowledge, I've determined to live my life out as best I can. God willing I will ride more snow, rock more shows and keep pressing on.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so really happy that you're able to go boarding now!! Loved your photos taken in such beautiful places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After recently finding your blog, I've read as many posts possible! Our stories are insanely similar, and I am excited to have found someone else out there who understands this life of health problems.

    ReplyDelete