Thursday, September 20, 2012

Gut-less

I was Diagnosed at age 19 with Ulcerative Colitis and my life has never been the same. Throughout this process, I have had numerous scopes shoved up my anus, drank gallons of radioactive sludge, taken sketchy medications and been hospitalized several times. After years of trying different medications available to treat UC, I had become so sick, that I got my large intestines removed. 
I had 3 major surgeries this past year, which leaves me where I am today...
GUT-LESS. 
 
I then lived with an ileostomy bag for 5 months, while in between getting my guts rewired and FINALLY reconnected.


After all the surgery drama, I was RE-diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. UGH. Are you kidding me?!? 

Sneaky Crohn's Disease was masking its true identity with Colitis all those years! So here I am, pretty much full circle from where I started, just with a different diagnosis and anatomy (and a whole bunch of stories and reflections). 

Anyway, I've been thinking about starting this blog for quite some time. Some days I take a step back from my own memories and have trouble believing them. At the ripe age of 24, I've been through some painful circumstances in life, and I am often surprised by the stories I hold deep inside. They're not all bad though. I believe everything I have been through has grown me into the person I am supposed to be. 


There's a line in a song by Box Car Racer, that prompted me to start writing online...

"Will I shake this off, pretend its all okay? That there's someone out there who feels just like me, There is..."

I realize that I am NOT the only one out there who has been through such unfair, messy circumstances in life. I am NOT the only teenager who was dealt a chronic illness. I am NOT the only J-poucher that thought they had been cured of illness, only to find out that they are still carrying the same burden as before. I am NOT the only who struggles to trust God through such frustrating trials in life. 


So there ya have it, Welcome to my blog, GUT-LESS! 


I hope my stories can be an encouragement to others, and maybe bring a little humor to some very un-humorous situations. 



1 comment: